The Tektronix 514 is a monolithic general-purpose oscilloscope introduced in 1949 or 1950.
It was designed by Tektronix engineers Bob Davis and Dick Rhiger.
Using a three-section distributed distributed amplifier, it provides frequency response from DC to 10MHz. Prior to the 514, customers had to choose between an instrument with 10 MHz bandwidth (the 511) or an instrument with DC response (the 512).
The 514 provides DC response and 10 MHz bandwidth. It weighs 60 pounds (27 kg) and consumes 360 W. The 514 uses a 5CPA CRT with a total accelerating voltage of 3000 V. The deflection sensitivity of the CRT is approximately 27 V/cm vertical and 32 V/cm horizontal.
The power supply is regulated based on a -140 V reference produced by a OD3 gas regulator tube.
A 514D model exists, which has a 24-section 250 ns lumped L-C delay line. There is also a 514AD. (How does the 514AD differ from the 514D?)
It has no thermal cutoff.