A separate amplifier (015-0106-00) was available as an option to use the probe on a 50 Ω input scope set at 10 mV/Div.
With a 1A5, the P6046 has a 45 MHz bandwidth. The raw bandwidth of the probe and amplifier is 100 MHz. Note that the probe itself acts as either a 1× or 10× attenuation probe dependent on a signal voltage on pin D of the connector. When used with the amplifier, 10× mode is used in the 200, 100, and 50 mV/div settings and 1× mode for 20, 10, 5, 2, and 1 mV/div.
An additional ×10 attenuator (010-0361-00) can be plugged onto the P6046's inputs.
The two probe tips are (in DC mode) directly connected to the gates of a pair of JFETs. Use the shorting plugs on the tips when not in use.
Ground the probe! Seriously. Sticker the probe "Ground Me!" I also recommend stickering the probe amplifier with the ATTEN BAL setup procedure from section 2-6 of the manual.
There are three versions of the manual:
- 070-0756-00 - (C) 1968 − This version assumes you have a 1A5 for absolute gain calibration of the probe without the amplifier.
- 070-7129-00 - (C) 1988
- 070-7129-01 - (C) 1992
- P6046 Manual (no schematics, PDF)
- P6046 Detailed Manual (no schematics, PDF)
- P6046 Voltage and Waveform Information (PDF)
- P6046 Schematics Rev. C June 1977 (PDF)
- P6046 Engineering Instrument Specification Signature Page (PDF)