The Tektronix TDS784 is a 1 GHz, 4 GS/s four-channel digital storage scope with a color screen.
There are four variants, all with the same specs but different hardware/software loads − TDS784A, B, C & D. Of these, the C and D models are the least problematic and most sought-after.
|Bandwidth||1 GHz at 10 mv/div and above; 750 MHz @ 5 mV/div; 600 MHz @ 2 mV/div; 500 MHz @ 1 mV/div|
|Sample rate||1 channel @ 4 GS/s, 2 channels @ 2 GS/s, 3 or 4 channels @ 1 GS/s|
|Number of Channels||4|
|Vertical Sensitivity||1 mV to 10 V/div with calibrated fine adjustment|
|Time Base Range||200 ps to 10 s/div|
|Record length||50k samples per channel|
|Record Length (1M Option)||500 K points on 1 channel; 250 k points on 2 channels ; 130 k points on 3 or 4 channels|
|Record Length (2M Option)||8 M points on 1 channel; 4 M points on 2 channels ; 2 M points on 3 or 4 channels|
|Acquisition modes||sample, envelope, average, high-resolution, peak-detect|
|Trigger modes||Edge, logic, pulse; Video trigger with option 05 (NTSC, SECAM, PAL, HDTV, and FlexFormat)|
|Storage||1.44 Mbyte, 3.5 inch, DOS 3.3-or-later floppy disk. NVRAM storage for saving waveforms, hardcopies, and setups. Units with option HD present (requires additional hardware) have a hard disk drive|
|I/O||Full GPIB programmability|
|Hardcopy||Using GPIB, RS-232, or Centronics ports|
- TDS520B Field Adjustment Software 063-2601-00 (ZIP)
- TDS520C Field Adjustment Software 063-2774-01 (ZIP)
- TDS520C/520D V1.129 Field Adjustment Software (ZIP)
- TDS520C/520D V1.129 Field Adjustment Software 063-3289-01 (ZIP)
- Tektronix TDS300, 400, 500, 600, 700, 800 AWE Drivers 066-0087-00 (ZIP)
- Telecom Test and I-Pattern Software TTiP 066-0119-00 (ZIP)
- Enhanced Printing Utility for TDS Family 066-0125-00 (ZIP)
- TDS runtime Environment TDSRTE1 066-0127-00 (ZIP)
- Tektronix TDS500C/700C Custom Masks 066-0165-00 (ZIP)
- Tektronix Wavestar 2012.05.09.11.07.29 16456 EN 066-0934-03 (ZIP, 102MB) Product Key: WSTRO618650124
- 05 - Video Trigger - Oscilloscope comes with tools that allow investigation of a range of NTSC, PAL, SECAM, and high definition TV signals.
- 13 - RS-232C and Centronics hardcopy interfaces - Add RS-232-C and Centronics interface ports.
- 1F - Floppy disk drive - Add 3.5 inch, 1.44 MByte floppy disc drive.
- 1G - 1 GS/s maximum - Limit sample rate from 5 GS/sec to 1 GS/sec when acquiring 1 to 4 channels (Export restriction compliance). (TDS 754D Only)
- 1M - 4M acquisition length - Extends standard acquisition length from 50,000 points per channel to 130,000 samples on three or four channels, 250,000 samples on two channels, and 500,000 samples on one channel.
- 2C - Communication Signal Analyzer - Oscilloscope comes configured for communications signal triggering and mask testing.
- 2F - Advanced DSP math - Add advanced DSP math features such as FFT, integration, and differentiation.
- 2M - 8M acquisition length - TDS 520D, 724D: To 2M samples on two channels and 4M on one channel. TDS 540D, 580D, 714L, 754D, 784D, 794D: To 2M samples on three or four channels, 4M on two channels, and 8M samples on one channel (Option includes a hard disk and is only available for the models listed above.)
- 3C - P6701B with system calibration - Oscilloscope comes with a P6701B and calibrated short-wavelength optical reference receiver on channel 1.
- 4C - P6703B with system calibration - Oscilloscope comes with a P6703B and calibrated long-wavelength optical reference receiver on channel 1.
- HD - Hard Disk - 170Mb internal hard disk drive.
- 1K - Add K420 scope cart
- 1R - Rackmount kit
- 24 - Add 4 each P6139A passive probes
- 26 - Add 4 each P6245 active probes
- 3I/3P - Colour printer and cable (220V/110V)
- B2 - Hardcopy version of the programmers manual
- L1 - Substitute French user manual
- L3 - Substitute German user manual
- L5 - Substitute Japanese user manual
- L9 - Substitute Korean user manual
- 020-2204-00 - Quick Reference in 8 languages
- 070-6869-00 - User Manual
- 070-9874-01 - Technical Reference
- 063-2773-00 - Programmer's Manual in MS-Help format on floppy disk
- NIST, MIL-STD-45662A and ISO9000 calibration certificate
- 200-3696-01 - Front cover
- 161-0230-01 - US power cord
- 016-1268-00 - Accessory pouch
- 070-9875-00 - Service Manual
- 012-0991-01 - 1m GPIB cable
- 012-0991-00 - 2m GPIB cable
- 012-1298-00 - RS-232 cable
- 012-1250-00 - Centronics cable
- 016-0909-01 - Soft-sided carrying case
- 016-01135-00 - Transit case
- K420 - Scope cart
- LVWIN - LabVIEW for PC Windows OS
- LWCVI - LabWindows for CVI system
- LWDOS - LabWindows for DOS OS
- S3FT400 - WaveWriter AWG and waveform creation software
- TTiP - Telecommunications Templates and i-Pattern software
- WSTR31 - WaveStar waveform capture and documentation software
See the Repairs page regarding HDD/FDD replacements.
- Tek Forum threads:
- EEVBlog Forum Threads:
- Simmconn Labs LCD replacement kits for CRT-based TDS O-scopes
- Wavestar Product Key
- TDS error log viewer
- Enabling options via GPIB interface - ko4bb.com
For units with serial numbers prior to B04xxxx, the latest known firmware revision is 6.6e. For units with serial numbers B04xxxx and above, the last known version is 7.4e. Note that, due to differences in acquisition and CPU board hardware, release 7.4e will not work in the earlier revision units. Early revision units may have a CPU board P/N of 679-4172-00. The later revision is 679-4349-00.
It is also worth noting the TDS754 and TDS784 series are nearly identical, with the differences being in front-panel cosmetics and the presence (754) or absence (784) of a few capacitors on the acquisition board. The only other difference is the position of instrument ID jumpers, also on the acquisition board. In fact, it is entirely possible to convert a 754 to a 784 (see the 'Links' section).
Note that any kind of firmware updating of the 784 (and most other similar TDS scopes) requires very specific equipment, starting with an older computer (ISA slots required) running MS-DOS 5.x or later as well as Windows 98SE. To interface with the scope, you will need a National Instruments PC/GPIB-II ISA-based (8-bit) GPIB board or a National Instruments AT-GPIB (16-bit) board and appropriate drivers. The software required to do the update (Tektool or Tekfwtool) also runs under DOS (or a DOS box in Windows 98). Information on this tool can be found in the Links section in the thread describing firmware updates.
Actual calibration requires the above computer, the specific PC/GPIB-II card and drivers and an MS-DOS environment. You will also need an Analogic/Data Precision model 8200 DC voltage standard and a levelled sine-wave generator capable of going up to 1 GHz (if you're just doing a 754, you can get away with a 500 MHz top end). Naturally, Tek used the SG503 and SG504.
The reason for the specific model of voltage standard is because that's the model Tektronix wrote the calibration software for. During the calibration process, it issues automated commands specific to the Analogic.
Note that in the TDS700D series, the acquisition board variant is important — the CPU Board with Firmware 7.xx cannot be used together with the old acquisition board, and the CPU board with old Firmware 6.xx doesn't run with the new acquisition board. The fact that the CPU board has part number 671-4349-00 is by itself not a reliable indication of a compatible firmware version.
Finally, for those with a dimming CRT, Simmconn Labs has developed a color LCD panel kit to replace said CRT in most of the TDS series which use them.