Hiro Moriyasu was an engineer who joined Tektronix in 1959 for a career spanning more than 25 years.
He pioneered the digital oscilloscope and other advanced computer technologies, and held more than 20 U.S. patents.
In the early 1970s, Hiro became the general manager of a new division of Tektronix focused on scientific graphic computing.
Upon leaving Tektronix, Hiro spent two years at Electro Scientific, Inc., co-founded Zeelan Technology in 1990 (acquired by Mentor in 1996) and founded of Acumar Technology in 1998 (acquired by Lafayette Instruments in 2006).
Moriyasu was born in Kure, Hiroshima, Japan. He came to the United States in 1953 as an electrical engineering student at Oregon State University. He died in Portland, Oregon on 17 July 2005, aged 70.
- Key designer of 4051 computer
- Key designer of P7001 digitizer
- Likely designer of X381 plug-in (history uncertain)
- ... please add
- US3325742A: Hybrid amplifier circuit (filed 1963-08-06, granted 1967-06-13)
- US3441863A: Drift compensated direct coupled amplifier circuit having adjustable d.c. output voltage level (filed 1965-08-02, granted 1969-04-29)
- US3439282A: Time base generator with automatic rate control (filed 1965-08-20, granted 1969-04-15)
- US3473044A: Monostable comparator circuit (filed 1965-12-13, granted 1969-10-14)
- US3408580A: Oscilloscope device exhibiting reduced jitter (filed 1966-03-17, granted 1968-10-29)
- US4225940: Oscilloscope system for acquiring, processing, and displaying information (filed 1978-10-02, granted 1980-09-30) (Tektronix, with Jack Gilmore, Willem Velsink, Luis Navarro)
- US5444459: Signal acquisition system utilizing ultra-wide time range time base (filed 1993-06-22, granted 1995-08-22) (Zeelan Technology)
- US5349539: Behavioral model parameter extractor (filed 1991-10-28, granted 1994-09-20) (Zeelan Technology)
- US5243343: Signal acquisition system utilizing ultra-wide time range time base filed 1990-12-03, granted 1993-09-07) (Zeelan Technology)
- US5034698: Dual-path wideband and precision data acquisition system filed 1990-01-22, granted 1991-07-23)
- ... please add
- Tek inventors recognized at banquet (1984)
- Digital oscilloscope inventor Moriyasu dies (AP, 2005)
- Hiro Moriyasu : Engineering Hall of Fame - 2006
- Barrie Gilbert, The Gears of Genius, in IEEE SCCS News, 2007