The Tektronix 834 is a portable "programmable data communications tester" (serial protocol analyzer) for RS-232 (V.24) circuits, introduced in 1980.
The 835 and 836 are sister models with extra features, introduced in 1986.
John Light was the software lead on the 834 and wrote some of the key parts of the software. Other software team members included Jeff McMeekin, Randy Deitrich and Bill Randle. On the hardware side was Pete J, and Lynn Saunders. Wendell Damm was the enginering project manager.
It can be used as a serial transmission monitor, modem or terminal simulator, or as a bit and block error rate tester (BERT). It supports ASCII, EBCDIC and hexadecimal displays on its 12-character alphanumeric display, for data formats with 5 to 9 bits/ character (including parity), asynchronous or synchronous (including HDLC), from 50 to 19200 bits/s.
ROM packs were available to extend the 834's functions for specific protocols.
In simulation mode, operation is user-programmable with up to 99 program steps that can reference up to 50 "parameter buffers" (registers). Some standard tests like all-character tests or "quick brown fox" tests are predefined.
- Pete Janowitz and John Light, A Programmable Data Communications Tester for First-Line Technicians. In TekScope Vol. 12 No. 4, Dec 1980.
- Tektronix 834 / 835 / 836 in 1986 catalog (OCR)
- Option 02 - Current Loop (20/60 mA) Interface (015-0361-00 adapter)
- Option 03 - RS-449 (RS-422/RS-423) Interface (A6741 adapter)
- Option 04 - MIL-STD-188C Interface
- Option 05 - Two Wire Direct Interface (A6742 adapter)
- Option 06 - V.35 Interface (A6744 adapter)
- A6741 − RS-232 / V.24 Tri-state break-out box
- 834R01 - Asynchronous ROM Pack
- 834R02 - Bisync ROM Pack
- 834R02A - Bisynchronous (EBCDIC) ROM Pack
- 834R03A - Link Test ROM Pack
- 834R04 - HDLC/X.25 ROM Pack
- 834R05 - Extended Instruction ROM Pack
- 834R06 - Bisynchronous (ASCII) ROM Pack
- 834R07 - PARS/IPARS ROM Pack
- 834R10 - SDLC/SNA (RD2) ROM Pack
- 834R11 - Extended Monitor ROM Pack
- 834R13 - SDLC/SNA (RD3) ROM Pack
- 830R13 - SDLC/SNA (RD3) ROM Pack
The 834 is built around a Zilog Z-80 CPU, helped by a 6802 handling the display/keyboard processing.